Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment
Office of Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr.

Most Popular Links



contact OEHHA

Lauren Zeise

more resources

Like OEHHA on FacebookLike Us on Facebook

resources for kids and educators



The Toxics Directory - Hazardous Materials

Incident Response

Hazardous Material Information or Management

Incident Response

Chemical Transportation Emergency Center

Chemical Manufacturers Association
2501 M Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20037
(800) 424-9300 (24 hours a day) ***For Chemical Emergencies Only involving spills, leaks, fires, or exposures to chemicals***
(703) 741-5000 (for Chemical Manufacturers’ Association)

The Chemical Transportation Emergency Center provides immediate and comprehensive initial emergency response information for first responders involved in responding to or operating at the scene of hazardous material emergencies. CHEMTREC also notifies manufacturers and shippers of incidents involving their products so appropriate follow-up action and assistance can be rendered. CHEMTREC can also activate mutual aid programs such as the Chlorine Emergency Plan (CHLOREP) for chlorine emergencies and the Phosphorus Emergency Response Team (PERT) for phosphorus emergencies.

Emergency Services Warning Center,

2800 Meadowview Road
Sacramento, California 95832
(916) 262-1800 General information
(800) 852-7550 24 hours a day
(916) 391-7715 for radiation emergencies
Fax: (916) 262-1677

The California Emergency Services Warning Center serves as the central notification point for hazardous materials incidents throughout the State. It notifies other state agencies that are qualified to give technical assistance and information regarding hazardous materials incidents.

National Response Center

U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters
2100 2nd Street, SW, Room 2611
Washington, DC 20593
(800) 424-8802 (toll-free, 24 hours)

The National Response Center (NRC) functions in accordance with the National Contingency Plan to provide for coordinated pollution response by federal and state government agencies. NRC receives initial reports of oil and chemical spills and rapidly passes the information to the predesignated federal on-scene coordinator for action. Technical information such as hazard assessments and movement forecasting is available to federal on-scene coordinators through the NRC. NRC also provides support to the National Response Team (representatives of 14 federal agencies which plan for and provide guidance during major oil and hazardous substance spills). The 14 agencies are the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA), U.S. Coast Guard (Department of Transportation), Department of Agriculture, Department of Commerce, Department of Defense, Department of Energy, Department of Health and Human Services, Department of the Interior, Department of Justice, Department of Labor, Department of State, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Nuclear Regulatory Commission and Research and Specific Program. The National Response Team meets monthly to discuss and review matters pertinent to the United States response posture.

Poison Control System, California

Public Emergency Hotline: 1-(800)-876-4766, 24 hours

One hotline number now links California’s Regional Poison Control Centers. Clinical pharmacists staff the centers around-the-clock with doctor of pharmacy degrees and specially trained registered nurses with professional certification as poison center specialists. Additional consultative support from a staff of on-call physician toxicologists certified in medical toxicology with primary specialties in internal, emergency, laboratory, or occupational medicine are immediately available. The staff provides the public, physicians, and other health care providers with information and consultation on poisoning emergencies involving household products, industrial chemicals, mushrooms and other plants, foods, and drug reactions or overdoses. Referrals for the diagnosis and treatment of poisonings are also given. The centers are a resource for the education of both the public and health professionals, and most have health educators. They are researching the epidemiology, prevention, and treatment of poisonings. The centers maintain extensive hazardous materials and poisoning library with computerized databases, have access to chemical laboratories for toxicological analyses to meet the needs of the public, health professionals, first responders, and government agencies for emergency information on the toxic and hazardous properties of chemical substances. They are an important part in the hazardous material spill response system. A state program coordinating the regional poison control centers is operated under the Emergency Medical Services Authority, listed separately. For administrative matters, call the central office at University of California San Francisco, (415) 502-8600.


266 El Portal
Palm Springs, California 92264
(800) 682-9000 (in California only)

24 hours a day service

The Tox-Center provides information from computerized databases on toxics to public safety agencies, industries, physicians, chemists, hospital emergency rooms, and also to individuals who are referred by poison control centers. Information can be faxed to the user. In conjunction with state and county agencies, the center has also developed protocols, which satisfy state requirements, for responding to spills, fires, and other emergencies involving hazardous materials.

Western Medical Center, Santa Ana

1001 N. Tustin Avenue
Santa Ana, California 92705
(805) 563-7000
Fax: (805) 563-7070

The Western Medical Center provides acute treatment for poisonings and spills. It furnishes complete decontamination services including a special decontamination facility that can simultaneously treat and decontaminate severely injured patients requiring stretchers. The facility is also capable of containing all drain water for testing and possible special disposal. Personnel are trained and equipped with protective gear to minimize the potential of secondary injuries. Hyperbaric oxygen is available for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Hazardous Material Information or Management


U.S. EPA refers callers to regional and state programs. For information on federal asbestos programs see Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) Assistance Information Service (TAIS - TSCA Hotline) later in this directory: (202) 554-1404

(415) 703-5191 – California Occupational Safety Health Administration (Cal-OSHA) for a list of licensed asbestos certified contractors and for contractors to become certified. There is a charge for this list, currently $25; send a cashiers check or money order payable to: The State of California, D.O.S.H., ACRU, and send it to:
Asbestos Contractors List
P.O. Box 420603
San Francisco, California 94142
(Watch for future posting of the list on the Cal/OSHA Web site at:

(916) 574-2993 - Asbestos Consultant Certification Unit. Certifies and provides information on asbestos consultants and site surveillance technicians.

(800) 321-2752 - California Licensing Board for information on contractors.

For information on health and safety in the workplace, see also Occupational Safety and Health, California Division of, in this section for phone numbers and locations of area offices.

(800) 638-2772 - Consumer Product Safety Commission for information on consumer products containing asbestos.

California Environmental Hotline

1-800-CLEANUP (1-(800)-253-2687)

Operational 24 hours a day - enter five-digit ZIP code to locate nearest drop-off recycling center and access all types of environmental information. This service is integrated into Earth's 911, listed separately.

Center for Health, Environment and Justice

PO Box 6806
Falls Church, Virginia 22040
(703) 237-2249
Fax: (703) 237-8389

The Center for Health, Environment, and Justice (CHEJ – formerly CCHW) provides individuals and community-based activist groups with the information and tools they need to understand the sources, solutions and health effects of toxic chemicals in the environment. They offer over 100 publications, quarterly and monthly newsletters, individualized assistance, training workshops, referrals, and networking opportunities.

Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Branch

Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Branch
California Department of Public Health
850 Marina Bay Parkway, Bldg P, 3rd Floor
Richmond, CA 94804
(510) 620-5600
Fax: (510) 620-5656
Lead related construction informationwithin California: 1-(800)-597-LEAD
outside California: (510) 869-3953
lead hotline: (510) 450-2424

The California Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Branch (CLPPB) provides technical assistance and educational materials to local health departments and health care providers on the identification, treatments, and environmental management of childhood lead poisoning. Since lead poisoning is a reportable condition, this program maintains a surveillance system that assists local health departments in efficiently following up cases and determining the magnitude and causes of identified cases. Conducting research on medical, epidemiological, abatement, and environmental issues are a program mandate. CLPPB also works with the Department of Health Services’ (DHS) Air and Industrial Hygiene Laboratory on a laboratory proficiency assurance program.

Earth’s 911


Earth's 911 is the nation’s official, 24-hour public service resource for geographically specific environmental and recycling information, including household hazardous waste. This service is made possible through an innovative public/private partnership between the Environmental Protection Agency, all 50 states, and dozens of public and private organizations which enable Earth’s 911 to be utilized by the public at no cost. Earth’s 911 provides information on the environment including reducing, reusing, and recycling; your nearest recycling center location; how to buy recycled products; how to handle household hazardous waste; an interactive kid’s section; and more.

Emergency Medical Services Authority, California

1930 9th Street, Suite 100
Sacramento, California 95814
(916) 322-4336
Fax: (916) 324-2875

The Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Authority has developed general guidelines for the medical management of hazardous materials victims in the field and hospital emergency departments. The "Hazardous Materials Medical Management Protocols" are available to health professionals. The California Specialized Training Institute (CSTI) offers training courses for personnel involved in or planning for the emergency medical response to hazardous materials incidents. This training covers such topics as site safety, triage and medical management of patients, and limiting secondary contamination. CSTI should be contacted directly to register. The EMS Authority also manages the Regional Poison Control Centers Program.

Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Information Hotline

See RCRA, Superfund, & EPCRA Hotline

Hazardous Materials Data Management Program

California Environmental Protection Agency
Department of Toxic Substances Control
400 P St., Fourth floor
Sacramento, California 95812
(916) 327-1848 or (916) 327-1849
Fax: (916) 324-1788

The Hazardous Materials Data Management Program in the California Environmental Protection Agency (Cal/EPA) collects, manages, and distributes toxic information in California. The office has the following features:

Help Desk: A central location for obtaining assistance and referrals on any hazardous substance-related question.

Guide to Toxic Databases: Document that lists existing hazardous substances databases, summarizes their purpose and content, and tells whom to contact for further information.

Facility Inventory: A database that combines facility identification and information from various programs which regulate facilities handling hazardous substances at federal, state, and local levels of government.

Toxic Chemical Release Inventory: Under section 313 of the Emergency Planning and Community Right-To-Know Act (Title III of the Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act of 1986), facilities are required to file a Toxic Chemical Release Form with U.S. EPA and the California Environmental Protection Agency, on any release to air, water and land as well as discharges to publicly-owned treatment works and transfers to off-site locations. Summaries of the information reported, as well as copies of the forms, may be obtained from the "Help Desk."

The Guide to Hazardous Substances Reporting Requirements describes the current structure of state, federal, and local environmental regulatory agencies, and lists appropriate contacts. Over 40 state and federal environmental reporting forms are illustrated, along with specific regulatory program contact information, filing criteria, filing frequency, and due dates for the reports. The relevant local business plan form, a list of helpful telephone numbers and possible sources of financial assistance are included.
Copies of the guide, which costs $40, may be ordered by writing to the Hazardous Materials Data Management Program at the above address.

Laboratory Accreditation Program, California Environmental

California Department of Health Services
2151 Berkeley Way, Annex 2
Berkeley, California 94704-1101
(510) 540-2800
Fax: (510) 849-5106

Accreditation as a certified environmental laboratory in California is provided to applicant private and public laboratory facilities in the areas of drinking water, wastewater, and hazardous waste testing, and for pesticide residues in food. Other areas of certification are available, such as bulk asbestos testing and shellfish sanitation. Lists of laboratories certified to conduct drinking water, wastewater, or hazardous waste testing are available from the program (see Web site). Lists are also available for bulk asbestos testing, bioassay testing (wastewater and hazardous waste), and radiochemistry. Special lists can be produced, but are charged for.

Medical Waste Management Program

California Department of Health Services
601 North 7th Street
P.O. Box 942732
Sacramento, California 94234-7320
(916) 327-6904

The Medical Waste Management Program of DHS administers the Medical Waste Management Act (the Act), which stipulates how medical waste is to be contained, stored, transported, and treated (rendered non-infectious). This office responds to inquiries regarding appropriate handling of medical waste, inspects medical waste generators, permits medical waste treatment facilities and enforces the act in the 24 counties and 2 cities for which the state DHS is the local enforcement agency. In the remaining 34 counties, the local health jurisdiction serves as the enforcement agency. The counties and cities for which this office is the local enforcement agency are:

Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Fresno, Glenn, Imperial, Inyo, Kings, Lake, Los Angeles, Mariposa, Mendocino, Mono, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Riverside, San Benito, San Luis Obispo, Sierra, Solano, Sutter, Yolo, and the cities of Berkeley and Sacramento.

Proposition 65 Implementation Office

Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment
1001 I Street Sacramento, California.
mailing address:
Proposition 65 Implementation Program
Cal/EPA Building - 19th floor
P.O. Box 4010,
Sacramento 95812-4010
(916) 445-6900

As the lead agency for the implementation of the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986 (Proposition 65), the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) formulates policies and promulgates regulations relating to the act; convenes meetings of a science advisory board responsible for identifying chemicals to be listed and reviewing risk assessments on listed chemicals; and compiles the list of chemicals known to the state to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity. OEHHA’s Proposition 65 Implementation Office carries out these activities.

The Reproductive and Cancer Hazard Assessment Section carry out technical and scientific activities in support of these functions. (See Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment).

Radon Program, California

California Department of Health Services
Environmental Management Branch
P.O. Box 942732
601 North 7th Street
Sacramento, California 94234-7320
(916) 323-9869
(800) 745-7236 (recording for leaving information requests)

The radon program (1) identifies radon levels in California, including homes and schools; (2) assesses public health effects; (3) develops appropriate mitigation response measures; and (4) develops educational materials.

RCRA, Superfund, & EPCRA Hotline

(703)412-9810 Washington, DC area
Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET

The RCRA, Superfund, and EPCRA Hotline is operated under the guidance of the Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response and the Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics. The hotline can answer questions from manufacturers, government agencies, and the general public regarding the several federal U.S. EPA regulations developed under RCRA, which includes the Underground Storage Tank (UST) program, the Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA or Superfund), the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (known as EPCRA, or SARA Title III), the Oil Pollution Act (OPA), Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures (SPCC) regulations, and the Clean Air Act Section 112(r). This law establishes requirements for federal, state, and local governments and industry regarding emergency planning and community right-to-know reporting on hazardous and toxic chemicals. The web site contains a link to the Toxics Release Inventory.

Reasonably Available Control Technology/Best Available Control Technology/Lowest Achievable Emission Rate Clearinghouse

Information Transfer and Program Integrated Division
ITG, MD-12,
U.S Environmental Protection Agency
Durham, North Carolina 27711
(919) 541-2736
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Eastern Standard Time

The Reasonably Available Control Technology (RACT)/Best Available Control Technology (BACT)/Lowest Achievable Emission Rate (LAER) Clearinghouse assists federal, state, and local agencies in exchanging information about RACT, BACT and LAER determinations as established under the Clean Air Act. The Clearinghouse also provides information to non-government groups interested in control technology applications.

Registered Environmental Assessor Program

P.O. Box 806
Sacramento, CA 95812-0806
(916) 255-4699 FAX (916) 255-6427

The Registered Environmental Assessor (REA) Program registers and maintains a list of qualified environmental assessors that small and mid-size businesses, school districts, and other local government agencies in California can hire to conduct site assessments, environmental audits, and oversee site cleanups. REA is administered by Cal/EPA’s Department of Toxic Substances Control.

There are two classes of REAs. The REA I can conduct a Phase I site assessment, which typically consists of the "due diligence" work required before a real estate transaction can be completed. This assessment examines whether hazardous substances have previously been stored or handled on the property and may determine the need for a more comprehensive assessment. The REA I can also work with small businesses on ways to reduce their generation of hazardous waste, or to determine whether they are in compliance with environmental regulations. The REA II is certified to oversee the assessment and cleanup of contaminated sites, and sites considered for school construction.

While an REA certification is not legally required for many kinds of environmental work, an REA registration should connote the state’s "seal of approval" that an individual is qualified to perform environmental work. REA is the only environmental professional registered by the State of California to perform environmental assessments and remedial work.

Toxic Substances Control Act Assistance Information Service
(TAIS - TSCA Hotline)

Toxic Substances Control Act Assistance Information Service
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
OPPT/EAD (7408)
401 M Street, SW
Washington DC 20460
TDD: (202) 554-0551
(202) 554-1404
Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time
Fax: (202) 554-5603 - 24 hours

The Federal Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) regulates the manufacture, processing, import, export, and distribution of chemicals in the United States.

The TSCA’s Assistance Information Service (TAIS), a hotline and clearinghouse, provides technical assistance and information to requestors concerning the regulations and programs administered under TSCA including asbestos, lead, and PCB's. The TAIS also carries information on U.S. EPA's 33/50 voluntary pollution prevention program.

Toxic Substances Control, California Department of

1001 I Street
Sacramento, CA 95814-2828
Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 806
Sacramento, CA 95812-0806
(916) 324-1826

The Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) provides the executive management and control of the state's toxic control program and provides the necessary focus and leadership to assure adequate protection to human health and the environment.

The department's core programs are: Site Mitigation, Hazardous Waste Management (this includes permitting and enforcement responsibilities), and External Affairs.

The overall goal of the Site Mitigation Program is to identify and clean-up California sites where an uncontrolled release of hazardous substances has occurred. The program's emphasis is directed toward base closures, privatization of site cleanup, and cost recovery. (916) 255-2006.

The Hazardous Waste Management Program combines the functions of permitting and enforcement for an integrated statewide approach to the management of hazardous waste. Waste classification, treatment standards, and recycling standards are also incorporated into the program to foster coordination of these distinct management elements. (916) 324-7193. This program also operates the Waste Alert Hotline (listed separately).

The Office of External Affairs focuses on pollution prevention, technology development, industry and small business assistance, industry and community relations, public participation, and public education. (916) 324-2471.

The department now has regional ombudspersons in each regional office. The ombudspersons are available to assist any outside interest with concerns, issues, and questions that the department is responsible to address.

The department has field offices:

Department of Toxic Substances Control
10151 Croydon Way, Suite 3
Sacramento, California 95827-2016
(916) 255-3545

Department of Toxic Substances Control
1515 Tollhouse Road
Clovis, California 93612-3611
(209) 297-3901

Department of Toxic Substances Control
700 Heinz Avenue, Suite 200
Berkeley, California 94710-2721
(510) 540-2122

Department of Toxic Substances Control
1011 Grandview Avenue
Glendale, California 91201
(818) 551-2800

Department of Toxic Substances Control
5796 Corporate Avenue
Cypress, California 90630
(714) 484-5300

Toxic Substances Research and Training Program, University of California

University of California
Davis, California 95616
(530) 752-2097

The Toxic Substances Research and Teaching Program supports long-term research and graduate education in toxics-related fields that will help provide the new concepts and scientific talent essential to solving the growing problems of toxic chemicals in our environment. The program also serves as a focal point of communication among researchers, industry, the government, and the public. A compendium of courses and research in the toxic substances field for the University of California is available on request.

Toxics Release Inventory

(202) 260-1488

The EPCRA of 1986’s primary purpose is to inform communities and citizens of chemical hazards in their areas. Sections 311 and 312 of EPCRA require businesses to report the locations and quantities of chemicals stored on-site to state and local governments. This helps communities prepare to respond to chemical spills and similar emergencies. The goal is to reduce risk for communities as a whole. Through EPCRA, Congress mandated that a Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) be made public. TRI provides citizens with accurate information about potentially hazardous chemicals and their use so that communities have more power to hold companies accountable and make informed decisions about how toxic chemicals are to be managed.

To find out more about TRI, visit the Web site listed above or contact the U.S. EPA listed separately in this directory. Another way to access TRI data is through The Scorecard, which is a chemical information service provided by the Environmental Defense Fund. Utilizing the U.S. EPA TRI database, it has information on sources of pollution and health effects of chemicals searchable by geographical location. See

Underground Storage Tanks (UST)

State Water Resources Control Board
P.O. Box 100
Sacramento, California 95812-0100
(916) 227-4400

All 58 counties, by state law, implement an UST program. Forty-three of these counties have become Certified Unified Program Agencies (CUPAs). In addition, 46 cities implement the UST program within some counties. See also, the Unified Hazardous Waste and Hazardous Materials Management Regulatory Program (Unified Program) listing below.

These local agencies permit and inspect operating USTs and oversee UST closures. Both local agencies (primarily counties) and the nine regional water quality control boards (see State Water Resources Control Board ) take the lead to oversee corrective action at UST unauthorized release (leak) sites.

Unified Hazardous Waste and Hazardous Materials Management Regulatory Program (Unified Program)

The Unified Program is an innovative California state and local effort to consolidate, coordinate, and make consistent six existing programs regulating hazardous waste and hazardous materials management. The Unified Program is implemented at the local level by Certified Unified Program Agencies (CUPAs): where 64 entities will now perform the hazardous materials and hazardous waste regulatory activities previously performed by nearly 1400 agencies.

The six program elements of the Unified Program are:

Through the Unified Program, a regulated facility benefits from a consolidated program throughout the county in which the facility is located. The program is implemented at the local level by a local agency, the CUPA, which must ensure consistent administrative requirements, permits, inspection activities, enforcement policies, and a single fee to all regulated facilities within its jurisdiction. State oversight of CUPAs will ensure that programs are administered consistently statewide.

To find the local CUPA, check the California Environmental Protection Agency Web site at or call one of the four Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) duty officers as follows for referral:

Sacramento: (916) 255-3617
Glendale: (818) 551-2830
Berkeley: (415) 540-3739
Cypress: (714) 484-5401

Waste Alert Hotline

Department of Toxic Substances Control
1001 I Street
Sacramento, CA 95814-2828
Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 806
Sacramento, CA 95812-0806
(800) 69-TOXIC or (800) 698-6942

This hotline is operated by the Hazardous Waste Management Program of DTSC (see separate listing). It is for reporting suspected illegal hazardous waste management activities such as "midnight dumping." Messages can be left at any time, but staff is available only during normal working hours. Anonymous calls are accepted. An informant reward option is available.

Waste Information Service Hotline

California Integrated Waste Management Board
8800 Cal Center Drive
Sacramento California 95826
Phone: (916) 255-3545

(Operational 24 hours a day - enter five-digit ZIP code to locate nearest drop-off recycling center and access all types of environmental information.)

The Waste Information Service Hotline provides information on reducing, reusing, recycling, and composting waste. Linked to an electronic database that includes the location of more than 5,500 recycling centers and contains information about upcoming household toxic "roundups" and collection facilities.

Flex Your Power Website
Energy efficiency and conservation information. Find incentives/rebates, technical assistance, retailers, product guides, case studies and more.
AMBER ALERT: Save a Child Amber Alert logo
AMBER ALERT empowers law enforcement, the media and the public to combat abduction by sending out immediate information.