Fish Resource Links
- USEPA/FDA Recommendations for Fish Consumption
- USEPA/FDA Commercial Fish Advice
- Department of Fish and Game Sport Fish Regulation Books
- Department of Public Health Fish Information
- Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Fish Mercury Project
- Southern California Fish Contamination Education Collaborative
OEHHA and Project Kaisei
OEHHA Scientist Dr. Margy Gassel recently returned from working with Project Kaisei.
Project Kaisei's mission was to study the North Pacific Gyre and the marine debris that has collected in this oceanic region, to determine how to capture the debris and to study the possible retrieval and processing techniques that could be potentially employed to detoxify and recycle these materials into diesel fuel.
"Every day, every night, we'd pull up samples and pour the water through a sieve. It would be completely clogged with tiny pieces of plastic," Dr. Gassel told the San Jose Mercury-News upon her return. "It was so disturbing."
Photo: Corinne Hume, Heather Coleman, Nicole Argyopolous, (Dr.) Michael Gonsior, Jean-Michel Cousteau, (Dr.) Andrea Neal, and (Dr.) Margy Gassel
- Read the ship's Blog and learn about the daily research here.
- Find out more about what the scientists discovered in an article published on MoreMarin.com
- Pacific Garbage Patch' expedition finds plastic, plastic everywhere - San Jose Mercury News
- Participate in World Ocean Day!
- See more photos and videos from the research expedition.
(Photo: Jean Michel Cousteau, Drs. Andrea Neal, Margy Gassel, and Troy Brajkovich)